Monday, February 21, 2011

Lee's questions for Practicum

1)  How do you feel about YouTube being labeled a social-networking site?  Do you think people are really making connections while using it?

2)  Copyright issues are a major concern on YouTube.  Do you feel that someone who has posted a video on the site has offered it up to the public, or do they retain sole rights to use their video?

3)  How strictly do you think YouTube should monitor and censor its content?  What shouldn't be allowed to be shown?  Should it be an open forum for anything?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lee, I won't be making section today because I will be at the Capitol and decided to comment on your post.

    In response to #3, I think Youtube definitely should not be an open forum to anything. I think if you open it up to adult videos the sight will just be flooded with them and you will lose a lot of the great things of youtube.

    Also, I do think that trying to remove all the copyrighted material, because it seems futile. We all know that if you wanna watch a clip of something its pretty easy to find it somewhere on the internet, and therefore why not just allow it on youtube.

    Good Luck presenting,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am unable to come to section today, so I am commenting. In response to #1, I think that Youtube is definitely a social networking site. Look at people like Justin Bieber, he made his career off of his videos. Also many people can leave comments allowing for discourse. #2 is a really difficult question. I think I would say that they should retain sole rights to the video because it is like a piece of artwork in a way. When you create something like that it is unethical for someone to take your masterpiece and call it their own. In response to #3 I wanna say that it should be open to anything, but I think that obscene content (such as pornography) shouldn't be allowed because if people want to look specifically for that they should go to a special site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lee, I hope your presentation went well today. In response to the first question, I believe that YouTube is a social networking site, based on my own experiences on the site. A few years ago, I found out about Hank and John Green, two brothers whose followers are called "nerdfighers". Basically, they advocate being yourself (in their case, being a nerd) and standing up for what you believe in. Every year they do a "Project 4 Awesome" in which they get users around the site to post videos supporting various charities which, for one day, knock Bieber off of the most daily views page. For that day and the time following, users comment on each others videos, make donations, and make friends. It is examples like this that make me believe that long lasting connections can be made via YouTube.

    ReplyDelete