Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Myspace Blog 3
I was very surprised to look at the changes that have taken place on MySpace since the last time I had visited. I started my journey through the world of preteens, hipsters and music buffs by revisiting my own embarrassing past on MySpace. While looking at my own page, last updated sometime during my freshman year of high school, I was immediately reminded of the original allure of MySpace. With the "eye opening" quizzes, opportunity to post pictures and (hopefully) get positive feedback from your crush while fiercely trying to defend your own image of individuality in answering the required questions; MySpace was ideal for someone who was trying to navigate the brutal waters of freshman year. With this first site providing an example of what MySpace was, I was interested to see how the site had changed. I saw a lot of the same kinds of quizzes, icons, music and crazy pictures that I had been accustomed to during my use of the site, but the cleaner layout and major emphasis on music and band sites seemed new. There seemed to be a big gap in MySpace users, ranging from the young teens to older music groups and aspiring artists. It seemed strange that the two groups inhabiting MySpace now could so cohesively live together on this website, but it seemed to do an alright job of meeting the needs of both groups. I was stunned by some of the overtly sexual images posted of young teens, either of themselves or of other 'celebrities'. I also noticed through my quick search that there seemed to be many more girls using the site then guys. Overall, my search was eye-opening and it was interesting to see MySpace try to compete with Facebook while maintaing its autonomy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment