Thursday, February 10, 2011

Practicum- Simon Rech

I was lucky enough to receive the Networked Console Gaming, I say this because I've already had a couple years of experience with an Xbox 360. So getting on and playing video games online hasn't been any different except now I'm free to call it "homework". I officially started my 15 hours yesterday, fired up the xbox and logged onto my gamertag Shmimon, onto Xbox Live ( sometimes i will refer to it as XBL, just to shorten things up). My avatar is pretty basic, just a guy with a brown combover, who's definitely dressed for success, he's wearing a pretty slick suit if you ask me. He used to be modeled after the Fonz, but I decided to change that after about a week after I realized that nobody in the online community ever caught on to the joke.
Once I was logged in and ready to play I decided to play a few rounds of Call of Duty: Black Ops. This was not the first time I had ever played online so I was already at level 45(out of 60), this means that I gained enough experience points to make it that high and unlock new weapons and other perks. I played a couple games when I noticed something pretty uncommon, there wasn't anybody in my gaming lobby that had a microphone in. If you've ever played Call Of Duty or any other RPG shooter for that matter, you'll know that this a pretty uncommon occurrence, but can also make for much less annoying gameplay. It's a quieter game because you don't have to deal with the 12 year old kid whining because he's bad or the guy who for some reason felt the need to not only have his mic plugged in but also have his stereo playing at full volume.
After about 5 games of Call of Duty (total time: approx 30 minutes) I was frustrated with the game, it's been awhile since I had played online so I was not doing that well, and I decided to change games. I picked up Madden, put it in the console, then played some online madden. I got matched up with a guy(forgot the name of the gamertag) who decided he was gonna be the Ravens, who are a pretty good team in Madden. I countered his choice and went with my team, the Packers. This turned out to be a bad game, well for me at least. I threw a couple interceptions, and ended up losing 17-14. Not all my fault though, I blame my friend for always playing with my gamertag and putting my win/loss record at 26-14, which is a pretty good record, and something I am definitely not good enough to record myself. Madden however is a completely different animal than Call of Duty or other online video games. You hardly, if ever, actually communicate with the other person, unless you're feeling confident or cocky enough to send them a message after the game. I guess that's good because I know I didn't want to hear about how my opponent's pick-six won the game for him(I hate losing whether it's real life or video games)
Overall, I had a pretty uneventful/bad day playing Xbox Live. I was not playing very well, and to top it off, I didn't have any fun/noteworthy interactions with anybody. Knowing Call Of Duty though, I think I can count on something happening in the near future, and when I do, you can be sure that it will be posted on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment