Sunday, March 6, 2011

Practicum - Eric (2)


So it's been a while since my last post on here about my practicum, and I've done quite a bit of work on my project in the meantime. Last time I had just searched for and found a recipe to assist me in making a glazed ham (see the picture of how it turned out!). I had planned on posting a recipe of the glaze I used, because I ended up combining a couple of recipes, but I have since changed my mind. Instead of focusing on my interactions with other people on the website, which would fall more under the social networking projects, I am going to focus on the information available on allrecipes.com, how useful it is, and how it is presented by people.
I decided to go ahead and join as a free member of allrecipes, and poked around what I could do as a member. One thing I found excellent and interesting about the website, is that it allows users to bookmark and organize the recipes they look at it very easiy. You can rate each individual recipe, and there is a feature called the Recipe Box that allows you to add recipes you like to your recipe box, and even classify them by categories like appetizers, main dishes, or desserts. Then, anytime a user logs on to the website in the future they don't need to go through an exhaustive search to find a recipe they really like, nor do they need to print out recipes and save them in a traditional recipe box, which gets super disorganized if you're anything like my family.
A few days ago I looked for an used my second recipe. It was for cheesy potatoes, and was absolutely delicious. I added the recipe to my recipe box, which is the only recipe there for right now, since I kind of did my own thing with the ham last time. In my next post I plan to discuss how the recipes are typically presented and some of the language associated with the standard recipe that a new user might not be familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment