Questions to think about before my practicum presentation:
1. Do you think people who are not part of the minority group should be allowed to participate in these communities? Or should it be limited to “members only?”
2. Do you find it unethical to pose as a member of the community in order to conduct ethnographic research?
3. There are often minority groups within a larger minority group community. For example, in the LGBT community, there are members of different ages, races, backgrounds, etc. Do you believe these "minorities within minorities" create a separation within the community? Or do you think these sites succeed in uniting the users regardless of these differences?
Hey Kim, I was unable to get to section today - my apologies. But here is some input on your questions.
ReplyDelete1. I think that online interest groups should be open to anyone who supports the cause and is willing to be engaged in it. The danger of this of course, is attracting trolls, agitators like Kent in the feminist forum. However, I think most any group of this sort would benefit from being inclusive.
2. As long as the researcher doesn't start to agitate or prod the group in any way, I don't see the problem with it. Even if they are not a part of the group in question, their presence is acceptable if their aims are justifiable.
3. I think that the Internet serves as a way to somewhat diminish these differences within groups. Anonymity can give a group a more uniform identity. There may still be disputes and arguments across age or gender of course, but I feel it would be more pronounced in a physically realized group.
Congrats on finishing your presentation! On to break, 303!