Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Blog #7: Ubiquitous Computing

I really had to pay attention to this one, because some of what I was using I didn't even think about.

I don't have class on Mondays (be jealous. Haha jk), so I used the time to work on a project. I had to take the bus (and scan my pass) to get to the store. Once I got there -and went through the automatic doors-, I checked out using their credit card system. Back on the bus again, coming home. I used an electronic fob in the elevator of my apt building to get to my floor, and a key card to unlock my apartment door. Once I was back home, I watched a program recorded through my DirecTV box that was recorded onto my Tivo (that one was a two-fer). All throughout the day, I used my phone and computer numerous times. Also, things like self-setting clocks, a fridge, and a microwave are all in here, too. Then there's the heating/cooling system in my apartment building. Depending on your definition of 'computerized', those could fit the bill also.
I don't think it would be possible for me to avoid computers all together for a whole day, unless I stayed inside my room and didn't look at any clocks or use my computer or phone. So, really, this wouldn't happen unless I was in a coma. If it were entirely necessary, like if computers just all stopped working everywhere, things could still get done for the most part, but it would be really inconvenient

1 comment:

  1. I think you've proved by your non-stop use of computerized things in just one day that it's become almost impossible not to use all of these technologies in our daily lives. I would definitely have a very hard time avoiding using computerized devices for a day, partly because I don't even realize most of them are "computerized." I'm actually very impressed you were able to recognize so many of these everyday things as computerized!

    ReplyDelete