Before posting my 5th practicum post, I decided to do a little bit of research about free lancing. I have been asked to do some websites for student organizations and a friend of mine who is an experienced web developer said that I should throw together a creative brief so that the client is on the same page as I am. I read this document that smashing pumpkins put together called the lost files, which outlines steps that free lancers and web designers should go through so that they aren’t ripped off financially and so that everyone is happy with the end result. The Smashing Pumpkins made a lot of suggestions that I found to be very helpful that I thought I would talk a bit about in my fifth practicum post. Digital development and design advances “almost hourly and technology comes at us at lightning speed.” This means that as a webdesigner one needs to keep up to-date on the latest trends by reading blogs, joining web communities etc. Smashing pumpkins make a few tips for first meeting with a client: “Here are simple tips for a successful first meeting:
• Don’t overestimate people’s utter lack of awareness of the elements necessary to create a website or any digital project. Most people can’t program their own voicemail.
• Speak to people in clear and unambiguous terms, but don’t be patronizing. Use examples to make abstract concepts clear and easy to understand. Explain abbreviations, use real-life metaphors, and avoid technical slang. Our grasp of technical issues is much better than that of our clients, but that doesn't mean we know more than they do about what's best for them.
The more you speak over their heads, spouting terms so dear to you but never heard by them, the more frightened they will be. You have pulled them into an unfamiliar world. Don’t expect a rousing discussion of CSS3 versus JavaScript. If they even mention such terms, it is because they Googled them beforehand to impress you. Ideally, the first meeting should consist of finding out what the client wants to happen with the website or project.
• Is it meant to advertise something and drive retail or e-sales? Does the company sell baby toys? Or oil-drilling equipment?The nature of the product will determine how it is presented to the end user.
• Is the website purely promotional? Is it a “Hey, look at us!” website? If it’s just a basic “About us” page, then the solutions will be easier and cheaper.
• What are the demographics? Who do they want to sell or advertise their product or brand to? Is it their current demographic, or do they want to expand or switch demographics?
• What exactly does the client want it to achieve? The only way to please the client is to know what they expect.Keep it simple and flashy. Do your best to make your work appear tangible, even if it is rather virtual and abstract. For clients, a website's existence begins the”
The most important aspect that I took away from reading this pdf by Smashing Pumpkins is how important it is to make a creative brief , which will act as a contract, it will explain to the client the steps you will be taking and the timeline. Smashing Pumpkins also suggests that you keep in touch with the clients updating them on the progress every couple days so that if they want to change anything it will be easier to incorporate than if you only update them after big milestones.
No comments:
Post a Comment