Sunday, April 24, 2011

Practicum - Sasha: Del.icio.us (4)

Up until now, I've been using StumbleUpon, but then I decided to compare Stumbling to other social bookmarking sites. Delicious was one of the more popular ones, so I went there first.

Compared to StumbleUpon, the biggest differences between the two are how categories are formed and how the browsing experience works.

(1) Categories are formed by StumbleUpon, and then you choose which topics you are interested in when editing your profile. Delicious lets users generate their own tags, and can combine more than one tag to refine what you're looking for.
I've already posted screen shots of SU, so here's some of Delicious for comparison:




This is what the main page looks like, and posts are organized based on newness









This is what happens when you click a tag. Obviously, I clicked "college". You can search for or click another tag from there.





(2) You are randomly routed to another website based on your interests when Stumbling (hence, the term 'stumbling'). Delicious shows you things tagged specifically, and the user can browse from there.

While I prefer StumbleUpon, there are definitely reasons one would work better than the other in a given situation. If you are simply bored and looking to waste time, Stumbling is probably the better bet. However, if you're looking for things based on specific topics, and want a more refined search, Delicious is probably better

No comments:

Post a Comment