Sunday, May 8, 2011

Practicum 7 - Yelp

On my way back to Green Bay the other night, I used Yelp one final time for the practicum project. This application, in my conclusion, is one of the most premiere and significant examples of knowledge-based media participation pertaining to the idea of a participatory culture seen on the Internet and now branching out to mobile devices. I can't really think of any things you cannot find using the application, seriously it has it all.

On my final review, I wanted to switch the pace of things up by visiting an unordinary spot using the application. What I found was an old run-down antique shop called, Satori Imports. This place was a dream come true for a hipster like myself. All kinds of random stuff and more incense that one could ever ask for. While it was great to walk-through my empty pockets didn't allow me to make any sweet purchases, but I was still very glad I had paid the visit. Another place reviewed, check.

And that simply is Yelp. You review places you go and in most cases, base your next random destination of choice on the helpful advice of others. It connects the on-screen world with the off-screen world by creating a collective set of opinions about places people visit that then directly affect where the individual will choose to venture next.

I have enjoyed this project and I believe I will continue to use Yelp after this, especially in new scenes and situations seeing as I am out of here!


Gracias por tu tiempo!

Blair

No comments:

Post a Comment