Thursday, January 27, 2011

Blogs 1+2


Hello, 303. My name is Dana and I am a Com Arts-Rhetoric major. I was raised on the north side of Chicago and it’s been suggested that my hometown pride can get a little ridiculous. I’m a senior and I have a potential job lined up at a PR firm in Chicago after graduation, but I’m also considering moving to NYC. I love watching sports as long as the Badgers, Bulls, Bears, Hawks, or Cubs are playing. I was devastated that the Bears lost on Sunday, and I was thoroughly embarrassed by Cutler's inability to walk it off; so congrats Packers fans on the NFC championship and for having a respectable quarterback. That aside, as far as music goes, right now I’m into Girl Talk’s All Day. It's a great combination of my favorite songs/genres from the past/present. I also like red meat, skiing, the Jersey Shore, and long walks on the beach.

Moving on, History of the Internet quickly provided a good deal of useful information. The graphics simplified how it works and it was interesting, yet not surprising, to learn that scientific, military, and commercial interests were the initial driving forces behind internet development. As a member of the first generation to grow up with the internet, I take it’s accessibility for granted. I am borderline ashamed that I haven’t previously taken the time to learn how it processes and sends seemingly endless amounts of information; it’s actually kind of ironic since I am constantly Google’ing all my random curiosities. As my mom reminds me, before there was the internet and Google, people had to go to libraries to look things up. But we experienced ‘simpler times’ too. While the video brushed on the entire history of the internet, I was reminded my personal history with the it, which includes my entire awkward youth and listening to the awful dial-up noise when signing onto AOL in order to IM everyone I knew, or waiting ten minutes for Napster to download “Oops I Did It Again”. Today, America’s adolescents prepare for a more public embarrassment by chronicling their stages of puberty in Facebook albums and waging war over Justin Bieber (who owes his career to the Youtube) via Twitter. Society increasingly lives their lives online, it's pretty fascinating, and maybe a little scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment