So, for this blog I attempted to get high by listening to music. I had heard of this before and have seen the NBC Nightly News scare tactic warning parents to "educate [their] children", but I laughed it off almost immediately after seeing the report.
I did some research and found fangroups, communities, and even companies (I-Doser) devoted to this seemingly nonsensical hobby(?) (I do not know what I would classify it as). I-Doser claims to be "the industry leader in binary brainwave audio doses to powerfully alter your mood". I almost laughed when I read about "secret I-Doser digital dealers" and read "TRUE and POSITIVE" user experience reports. However, I went into it with an open mind to see what all the cool teens are doing. I found many different audio tracks and videos of both simulations (colorful visualizers, strobing lights, etc.) and reactions of people supposedly feeling intense reactions to this music. I tried a few, but most of the music or videos sounded either like dubstep/house/trance music or an orca using echolocation mixed with rhythmic tones. I even tried the noise-canceling headphones and dark room approach which seemed to be popular among "hardcore" i-Dosers. Sadly, I felt nothing but a headache. I did try almost everything that was mentioned on YouTube and other sites, but nothing seemed to work.
Could it be possible that these "users" are tricking themselves into euphoria as if this music were some sort of placebo that just happens to cure their illnesses? It is interesting to think about because if these songs/videos were a complete fallacy, I would not have found literally thousands of sources and links when I searched "i-dosing" on Google. So, if it works for people then more power to them, but I personally do not understand the trend.
No comments:
Post a Comment