So I finally got around to starting my practicum project the other day. My topic is specialized information sites. I was a bit dumbfounded for a while when I began to brainstorm what sites I wanted to study, because I wanted to focus on one specific specialized information topic, so I could better compare how different sites treated the topic. I also was determined to find a topic that I was not only interested in, but that I could find increased knowledge useful to my everyday life. Eventually I realized the topic I needed to cover was cooking. I already like to cook, probably because I like to eat, and cooking allows me to experiment and try new tastes and foods.
To start off I decided to visit a website that I have used on occasion in the past, www.allrecipes.com. The site is basically an expansive collection of user-submitted recipes. Many recipes include pictures, and there is a review feature for all recipes. Users can rate how much they like a recipe on a 5-star scale, and then also provide feedback on the recipe. Having such a large collection of recipes in one central location is very convenient, as all a user needs to do is type what they are searching for into the searchbar on the homepage, and then look through the results.
I also decided that in order for this study to truly be effective and for me to learn anything substantial, I should actually find recipes and use them to make food. That way I can study cooking/recipe websites on multiple levels, as an outside analyst, and as an actual user. I had been having a taste for ham recently, so I did a quick search of "glazed ham" and looked over the first few results. After comparing the reviews on the three most popular recipes, I decided I wanted to try a hybrid of the three. I took the best features of all three recipes, based on user feedback, and made myself some ham for dinner tonight. It featured a glaze based on honey, mustard, and ground chives, and it turned out to be quite delicious. I have written down exactly what I used and did to prepare my meal, and I plan on submitting my very own recipe to the site in the next few days. It'll be interesting to see if anybody provides me with feedback or tries my recipe.
No comments:
Post a Comment