Monday, March 28, 2011

Practicum (1) - Collective Intelligence "Yelp encounter"


Oh shiznit, I forgot I had a presentation tomorrow. Welp, here goes nothing...

I shall be using tonight as the beginning of my research it appears...
The first thing I need to do is figure out which application I want to use on my insanely smart phone (I don't deserve this beast - HTC Sprint Evo). No wonder my mom won't pay my phone bill anymore.

1. First option - Yelp -

I think I'll go with Yelp. I don't base my decision on much more than what was easier to sign up for. It also seems like your able to explore more with Yelp than FourSquare because while both are based on signing into places, or in other words, "checking into" a place, Yelp isn't based around where your friends are checking in, but rather on customer and other Yelp member reviews. Some serious collective thinking, paving way here. I think I'll like it.

2. Second option - Foursquare -

I didn't choose FourSquare, because as I stated above, it is more based around your friend's locations using the "check-in" option at different venues and businesses throughout the town within which you are located, and while I'd love to try it out as well with Yelp, I honestly don't have a single friend using the application so it seems rather pointless.

_______________________________________

When using my phone with Yelp, I simply open the app which sits in the main menu of my phone and it brings me to the Yelp main page which consists of six different icons to tap on (Nearby - for close places to go, Check-Ins to check my recent history and where my friends are, About Me - I think you can understand this is just my basic information with a profile page I used a picture of one of my friend's here, I'll post later (legendary mustache), Bookmarks - for places I want to visit/check out in the future, Monocle -An INSANE gadget that lets you find the places you want to go simply by pointing your phone in the direction of the place, which is located using an advanced GPS system that detects your location and basically creates a compass for you to walk toward the place once you pick one out, I'll show this in my presentation tomorrow. Finally last feature on the main page is Recents - Obviously to explore the recent places you've visited or checked into.

I made a video that I wanted to upload on here, but I guess it's too large. Essentially, I wanted to show you the coolest feature on Yelp that I've found thus far(Monacle). We'll go through it tomorrow more....For now, here's a little sneak peak into how it works -->

1 comment:

  1. So after your presentation I told my friend about the Yelp app on his phone. We tried it out and messed around with it a bit more and I came to the conclusion that it is a really cool idea. It had a few bugs (didn't show all the restaurants in a lot of places) but the overall idea is very original and hopefully in the near future they will make updates to create a more sound app. Also, my friend and I are pretty dedicated Urbanspoon users but after going through Yelp's app, we are seriously weighing the pros of cons of each with a possibility of switching over.

    ReplyDelete