
Hey guys, I am just writing to update you all on my practicum assignment. I was assigned 'Wiki Participation' (there are many different subjects and people presenting, so I thought a reminder would be helpful) and I have used Wikipedia for about 10 hours for this presentation, but I have been a Wikipedia fan and supporter since I have owned a computer. Until I began doing some research for this project, I was unaware of how expansive and correct Wikipedia actually turned out to be. I had assumed that there would be brief articles helping people get started with a particular topic, but as people continue to refine, edit, and improve the site, its intricacy and complexity multiplies. There were times when I would look for things to add or correct about a favorite band, athlete, or event, but I would read the descriptions and have nothing else to add. It was actually a bit frustrating, believe it or not.
One of my favorite aspects of Wikipedia is their 'Random Article' feature. One simply clicks on 'Random Article' along the left-hand side of the page and is taken to a random article about absolutely anything. I have gotten entries from Scottish poets, the chemical make-up of methamphetamine, and everything in between. The idea is so simple, but it can provide entertainment for hours. It is basically the same software used by StumbleUpon, but it only delivers cataloged Wikipedia entries as opposed to unique URLs.
Another cool aspect of Wikipedia that I have been poking around with is their 'Featured Content' tab. Wikipedia explains that their featured content includes, "the best that Wikipedia has to offer. These are the articles, pictures, and other contributions that showcase the polished result of the collaborative efforts that drive Wikipedia. All featured content undergoes a thorough review process to ensure that it meets the highest standards and can serve as an example of our end goals." I think that it is awesome that Wikipedia has gone the extra mile to ensure valid and succinct information about important and particular subjects.
That is all for now. I look forward to presenting on Tuesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment