Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blog 6 - Hulu and YouTube

I chose to watch an episode of Modern Family on Hulu and a Julia Nunes music video combining the songs "Baby" by Justin Bieber and "Baby" by the Supremes. on YouTube.

I've always been a bit partial toward YouTube, but I'll admit that Hulu is incredibly handy. I was able to look up Modern Family and watch up to the last five episodes, more if I have a Hulu Plus subscription. When I started the episode, I was able to choose between watching a long commercial in the beginning (two and a half minutes) or having the regular commercial breaks. I chose to get it all out of the way and watch my show without interruption. This was a new option that I haven't seen on Hulu before, so it was a nice change. Overall, Hulu let me see the show that I wanted for free and with limited advertising.

On YouTube, I chose to watch Julia Nunes' new music video. Julia is a musician that earned her fame through YouTube and is known for making creative videos where she harmonizes with herself and plays a variety of instruments. Unlike on Hulu, I didn't run into any adds on YouTube. This is probably because Julia's channel is not one of the big VEVO channels, so she is making and posting the videos for herself for the purpose of gaining an audience, not gaining ad revenue. Overall, YouTube lets me looks for specific videos that interest me, and the comment section and the related videos on the side allow for a more personalized experience than Hulu.

No comments:

Post a Comment