
I had an exiting (?) new follower request yesterday. It was from John Fugelsang, who you would definitely not know by name, but may know by picture. He is most well known as the co-host of America's Funniest Home Videos, as a comedian and I guess he had a part in Coyote Ugly? Either way this is my first encounter with a "celebrity" (we will use the term loosely here) who had wanted to contact me, and not the other way around. I have no idea what prompted this follower request, but it got me thinking of the roles of celebrities and their Twitters. I wondered if this had actually been sent by John himself or if it was done by someone he employed. We all hear about the importance of new media in branding yourself or your product but I questioned just how true this was. Had John really made himself a bigger name by asking to follow me on Twitter? Did he expect me to in turn follow him (which I did not!)? Seeing his follower request did prompt me to google him and observe his biography and past works, but at no point did this somehow transform me into a Fugelsang Fan. Perhaps a few more hits on his name in google was all he was looking for and in that case it was a success, but either way I questioned his motives.
No comments:
Post a Comment