Monday, April 18, 2011

Blog #6 YouTube v. Hulu

So with all the choices of videos on YouTube I felt the obvious choice was to watch "Friday" by Rebecca Black again to get an update of how many views it has (about 110 million by the way). YouTube has a couple obvious strengths over Hulu. For one, YouTube is quick and easy to find any strange/random clip that I am searching for whereas Hulu is predominantly entire episodes. However, Hulu has the obvious advantage of picture quality and entire seasons of episodes. I watched an episode of Arrested Development for the sake of nostalgia and the commercials are a bit annoying, especially if I were to go on a Hulu binge. Although, Hulu does occasionally have special promotional weeks where there are no ads, one instance that comes to mind is when Bing was first started and they had almost no commercials. Naturally, I got caught up on House and watched all of Arrested, but I don't think Hulu could pull of this strategy today. For one, they are really pushing this whole Hulu Plus thing, which is annoying but if it got big enough and had the right sort of content, I suppose I could see myself possibly investing in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment