Sunday, April 17, 2011

Practicum - Sasha: Stumble Upon (3)

One of the features of Stumble Upon that I decided to focus on was the toolbar. If you go to the StumbleUpon website, you can download the toolbar for your browser. It's incredibly simple to do, and you can be stumbling in no time.



I'm not sure how it works on other platforms, but in Firefox there's a button that shows up in your regular toolbar. When you press it, it will show or hide the StumbleUpon toolbar so you can have it handy when you want it, and hide it to save space when you don't want it.
-- Hidden

--Shown



Most of the features of the main site are available right from the toolbar, like sorting what subjects you want to stumble, as well as sharing something you found not only to Facebook and Twitter, but with contacts from your personal email account as well (email picture edited to not show full emails).



Since adding the toolbar, I really haven't done a whole lot of stumbling where I started out at the original site. If you want to look at your 'favorites', the button on the toolbar will link you back to the main site where you can browse them, but most of the other buttons can function without going through the main page.
It's something I'm sure gives stumbling a lot of traffic. Like the recommendations emails I mentioned in my last practicum post, It's really helpful for getting you to think about the site, even when you're not using it.


As usual, my favorite recent stumble:
Eminem Violin Cover "I Love the Way You Lie"

4 comments:

  1. This toolbar feature is both amazing and terrible at the same time. I have it downloaded on mine and it makes it very hard to not stumble once in awhile and that little stumbling turns into an hour of lost time. Its a good idea by them because it gets me stumbling all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually went back to firefox (from Chrome) just because I enjoyed having the ability to stumble whenever I wanted. I personally think it's a good feature, although like everybody else has mentioned, it does make it harder to resist the urge to click it when you should be sleeping, or studying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrome has the toolbar feature option also Simon and I find it to be just as deadly. I do not believe that the Chrome option incorporates the list of favorites on the side as easy to access as the way it looked in the Firefox add-on. I think that the different apps and add-ons that are appearing in new browser updates in general have been very helpful and I have enjoyed many of the features. One of my other favorite features is the facebook photo enlarger that makes the image you scroll over with your cursor appear in its full size without having to open a separate window which saves a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The toolbar dropped my GPA about .5 last semester. I would literally be reading an email from a teacher and subconsciously just click on it and be whisked away for hours. Needless to say, I unintalled it but I agree that it is probably the most useful toolbar function I have ever had. And that violin video is awesome.

    ReplyDelete