Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ubiquity of Computerization

Initially, I had only thought of all the obvious ways I use computers in my daily life. For instance, I wake up to an alarm set on my phone. Before getting out of bed, I always check the weather on my phone, often followed by Facebook or Twitter. I alternate listening to music on my iPod and iPhone on my way to class and a lot of downtime in my apartment is spent playing games on my roommate's iPad or using OnDemand to watch something we missed. I made an online purchase on Monday night and realized how much I rely on the internet to buy things I can't get in Madison.

Another thing that I thought was kind of relevant to this discussion is the big typewriter scare. Early Tuesday morning, "RIP Typewriters" was trending on Twitter. I scanned a few of them but didn't notice any relevant reasons for mourning. I did find it ironic that people were using Twitter to express their feelings. It's safe to say that many of them own and/or regularly use a far more high tech typing device. Given this, I wondered if they were nostalgic for the typewriter because it was the mode of writers who lived a less computerized life. In any event, it was a false alarm, typewriters will still be made.

Would people have mourned the eight-track or VCR if Twitter were around when they faded into obscurity? I know I was excited when my DVD player didn't "eat" my favorite DVDs like my VCR had. I'm personally pretty okay with my computerized life.

No comments:

Post a Comment