
Hey 303, I'm Dean Knetter. I hail from the blink-and-you'll-miss-it town of Fredonia, WI, about an hour north of Milwaukee. I'm majoring in Comm Arts (Radio, TV, Film) as well as History. Over break, myself and six others conquered the Wild West in a rented minivan on our way to the Rose Bowl. The team may have lost, but getting to sing "Varsity" in the Pacific Ocean made the trip worthwhile. Currently, I'm getting pumped up for the Academy Awards, the last few Badger hockey weekends, and of course the Pack's impending Super Bowl title. Musically, I'm all about the blues, soul, and classic R&B of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. My favorite sports are golf and basketball. And if you ever feel up for it, I'm always ready for fiery ping-pong match. Just ask me!
The video provided a great clarification of Abbate's reading for me. As someone who is far from a computer wizard, most of Ms. Abbate's technical jargon went over my head. Seeing the video quite literally connect the dots really helped to start unravel the mystery of the internet's origins for me. The fact that the commercial, military, and scientific sectors all contributed to the internet make it a unique invention, and I'm curious to find out what tensions existed between these three disciplines in the Internet's early days. How has the way we receive internet service been affected by the net's origins? The way in which technologies like the internet have started in other areas only to become available to the public makes me optimistic that before long we will have access to currently exclusive gadgets. Of course, eight minutes cannot sum up the internet's entire history, but this video will likely find a place on my boomkarks tab and be referred back to in the future!
No comments:
Post a Comment