Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blog #3

I chose to try and get high off the internet for my third blog assignment...it didn't work. I watched a couple videos and also listened to the material that was the subject of most of the reaction videos.

It seems that even with the videos, it was primarily the sound that was important. I used headphones to listen, and I think that added to the experience. Because the sound was in stereo, the headphones gave the most 'surround sound' feel, and the movement of the sound source seemed to be going in a circle around my head for most of the time with each of the videos.

As far as getting high is concerned, I don't think this gets the job done. There is a very mild sense of disorientation because of the sense of movement (It is important to note that I covered my eyes, which eliminated that sensory information. All I had to go by for where the noise 'was' was the sound going around my head). At best, it's like when you're walking on a treadmill for a long time, and when you get off, you still feel a little 'pulled' forward when you walk or feeling like you're still floating if you've spent the day in a lake or something. It's sort of the absence of noise at the end that is disorienting. The only other association I can think of is when you go to a loud concert and when you come out, the quietness of everything is sort of strange because your ears have acclimated to the volume.

Long story short, I think this is a bunch of crap. The only people who need to worry are people prone to seizures, and that's only if there happens to be trippy techno graphics accompanying their i-dosing.

Here are the links to 2 videos I watched and a link to "Gates of Hades", which is what most reaction videos are about. The 'Gates' audio is 30 minutes long, but it mostly picks up at around 23 min if anyone wants the Reader's Digest experience

Gates of Hades

I-Dosing Millennium Bug


Psychedelic Sound

Happy listening!

1 comment:

  1. I also viewed the E-dosing video. It didn't work on me either. I like your comparison on spending the day on the lake. Also I definitely agree that the only people that need to worry are those that are prone to seizures. Maybe these videos would be better if you were already high?

    ReplyDelete