Monday, February 28, 2011

Googling Myself

So typing "Eric Wagers" into Google was a somewhat boring and unexciting exercise. This is because of multiple reasons. For one, I Googled myself not too long ago, as a result of a conversation with friends about doing so. The other reason is that I'm really not that interesting of a person.
The results that came back which were actually about me were a mix of three things. One, obviously, was the typical personal information search websites. These were a bit creepy, because they had taken information from my different social media pages. Another result was my social media websites, which included Facebook and Twitter. This was no surprise. The third type of result was newspaper articles in which I'm included. These included a few from accomplishments in high school soccer, my Eagle Scout recognition, and an article from the Badger Herald I am quoted in.
Aside from the information that was actually about me, there was a bunch about some sound mixer or sound effects guy that works in movies and albums or something that has the same name as me. So, all in all, this exercise was a good reminder of the security, or lack there of, on the internet, and that any information you ever put out there about yourself is just about fair game to show up in a search result.

No comments:

Post a Comment