
For my practicum project, I decided to play World of Warcraft. I was pretty convinced that I would be able to limit myself to a couple of hours of gameplay a week. Yeah... four days, 20 levels, and about 30 hours later, I'm addicted. It is easy for me to see how people can spend so much time and money on this game. The world is enormous. I'm used to playing games where within a few days of 12 or more hours of gameplay, a player can have explored the entire world of the game. "WoW" is not one of those games. Yesterday, for example, I played for about 12 hours in one relatively small area and barely made a dent on the endless possibilities that the game offers.
I haven't had much interaction with other players yet. I've dueled a few players (and lost), been invited to join a few level one guilds (and declined), and had a few people try to talk to me (but it's a hassle to respond with my 10-day free trial of the game). As far as my character goes, I chose to be a night elf just because I thought they looked cool. My character is a hunter, meaning that I specialize in range weapons (like my bow) and get to have a badass pet to help me attack things. Because I've been playing the trial, my features are a little restricted at this point, but I have been able to learn new fighting skills and a few professions (leatherworking, skinning, etc). Within the next week, I'm going to buy the full version of the game, try to form or join a guild, figure out what exactly I'm supposed to be doing in the dungeons, and hopefully hang on to some shred of a social life. Seriously. Yesterday I walked to the kitchen, put an entire box worth of granola bars in my pockets, and sat back down to play. My roommates asked me what I was doing and I said that it's so I didn't have to leave the couch for a while. Problem? Maybe. Worth it? YES... I mean, maybe.
No comments:
Post a Comment