Monday, March 28, 2011

Practicum (Questions for presentation) Collective Intelligence

Here are my thoughts thus far on the project, please realize I still have a lot more to consider before I make conclusions and this is only the beginning of my initial research on locative services such as Yelp! ...

1. When you want something in today's world, how often have you found yourself basing your decision off of other people's opinions and reviews of the item/product/service you are interested in? Have you found these reviews/opinions helpful, and if so explain a situation in which you relied on the "collective" intelligence of the web.

2. As I'm using Yelp, I can't help but think of the old saying "word of mouth". While in my view, technology does seem to inhibit interpersonal communication up to some extent (think of everyone walking around campus disconnected to the world by putting on some headphones and plugging them into an ipod), it also seems to connect people to good service/business by supplying a "collective" intelligence of the information being presented. Do you feel like the Internet, specifically "collective" intelligence websites and services such as Yelp and FourSquare, help pass GOOD "word of mouth" that helps individuals make decisions based on other's opinions?

3. Are there seemingly any negatives to websites/services like Yelp or FourSquare that can be used not only as locative services from your phone for simple navigation, but also as online rating communities that create a system of rating something from 1-5 stars based on personal experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment