Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Blog Number Seven

By making note of my interactions with computers, I realized I am not quite as "wired in" as many people. Some of this may stem from my not having a smart phone; mine is very utilitarian, for a few calls and texts a day. Most of my time was spent on my laptop. I browsed around Facebook for a while when I got home for the afternoon and checked up on some reading I had to do. Then, I went to the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery without my computer. However, while there I did interact with the touch-wall, this huge screen which displays your nebulous shadow when you come near it. Seriously, do this. I got home and spent a lot of time on the computer, due to the paper I had to turn in this morning. I used my phone a few times throughout.
I may not be connected to computes or the Internet at all times, but my roommate sure is. This guy is nuts. At least as far as tech goes. He has three phones with him at all times, an iPod, has a home built PC and a Macbook Air. Thus, there are rarely times when he is not connected; he manages most of his affairs through the web, even ordering groceries. Cases like this give real credence to the idea that the digital world is diminishing the importance of real geography and physical spaces. For some people, those spaces are much less important than for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment