Sunday, April 10, 2011

Practicum - Dean (3)


I have started using my character, Clark_Humphrey, on LambdaMOO. However, interactions with other users are tough to come by, as there are only a dozen or so players active at one time. Considering the vast scope of the world, they are difficult to find and talk to. I actually did run across two people in a stately home called the New Britain House. Unfortunately, they were sleeping. Try as I might, I could not rouse them. However, when I was back in the Lambda Mansion, I discovered a transport machine; this has a list of destinations you can warp to. This could make this huge world much easier to navigate. I still may strike out on foot now and again in order to get a sense of the general geography, but for today I decided to use this machine to go to the "Cowsino". (I actually had to leave the burglar alarm on in the Lambda Mansion, because I could not figure out how to turn it off. Hopefully I didn't leave fingerprints).
In the Cowsino, I found out I needed money to play the variety of games there. Next time, I will make a trip to the First LambdaBank in order to open an account. Anyways, venturing away from the Cowsino, I found a number of establishments. There was an elegant theater, a travel agency, and Llamaland, a llama shop started by one of the users. Outside, I found myself on Commonwealth Avenue. This street was described in a very Utopian fashion; all ages, races, and genders were "working together for the common good". However, there were signs of urban decay on the street - could that be a user positing a bit of social commentary? I plan to revisit this neighborhood though, especially "Plant Parenthood" - that could be wonderful. And I will keep searching for other users to have conversations with!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dean, the vastness of the Lambdamoo world seems pretty crazy. I think, by reading your blog posts, its clear to see the early roots of this world because it could be so much more if you could see it all. I also think its quite interesting how every user leaves their mark on the world for every one else playing. Good luck finding more people to talk to in what seems like a ghost town!

    ReplyDelete