One of the things that continues to amaze me about World of Warcraft is the friendliness of other players. From stories I've heard in the past and what we've learned in lecture, it seems that most players are only out to serve their own self interests, but that's not what I've come across in my play time. For example, yesterday I was exploring a new area, and another player that I had never met before was doing the same. She asked me if I knew where the inn was. I told her I didn't, but she thanked me anyway. This may seem insignificant, but it seems to go against the stereotype of players being rude and only using others to get ahead. In my experience, this type of behavior (telling people "gratz" when they level up, saying "ty" for help, and saying "sry" if you feel like you let another player down) is the norm on WoW.
Two things could explain this. One is that I'm playing Player vs Environment, so the people who are playing alongside me don't have to think that I'm out to kill them and take their stuff. Another is that most people seem to be casual players who are playing the game to have fun, and they'd like to think that other players would be considerate and try to make the game fun and pleasant for everyone. Of course, every game is going to have its trolls, but luckily, I have yet to run into any.
No comments:
Post a Comment