Wednesday, April 13, 2011

YouTube & Hulu

Like us all, I have had plenty of experience on YouTube. However, I use Hulu rarely, so I visited the site and watched a few Saturday Night Live videos. The pristine video quality is one of the biggest things Hulu has going for it. YouTube may have the same and even more content, but viewers seem to have shown their preference for video quality. The move from YouTube to Hulu for professional content is made easier by the fact that many YouTube videos now come with a 15 or 30 second ad.
The navigation throughout long videos was a bit of a problem on Hulu. Even if i went backwards in the video, it made me watch a commercial, and only after that (sometimes 1 minute) was I able to see if I was even in the spot which I wanted. This could be something they improve upon. YouTube of course has a social aspect to it. While Hulu allows ratings on their videos, there don't seem to be sharing or commenting options. This might be for the best, judging by some of YouTube's flame wars.
I don't watch as much television as I should. Yes, that sentence is correct. There is great stuff out there that I'm missing. If I do decide to start watching some professionally produced content, I suppose I would go to Hulu, even if the same was on Youtube. I too am a sucker for video quality, and the commercials can be an excuse to turn a page or click a pen - whatever looks like homework but isn't actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment