There is a place called Singles Street, which a limousine actually takes you to. I decided to explore the Singles Courtyard which was a real nice garden. There was also a gate which led down to a nude beach, but this gate was closed. Might I remind you again that this is a completely textual world. Anyways, I went into the Singles office and upon inquiring, was given an automatic email. It gave me instructions for obtaining an apartment home in the Singles building, but also said that it was not a place for singles to meet, just a virtual living space. That's hard to believe, considering the name of the place. It shows however, that there is even a spot for virtual romance in LambdaMOO - a sub-community within the greater virtual community! In this way, this world is functioning somewhat like reality; people naturally grouping with those most like them.
There was also a Parisian district that I stumbled into. There were many French language signs and descriptions here. The architecture was distinctly French, and there was a Parisian cafe which I entered. There was a virtual waiter who would make you any drink you wanted. I ordered a White Russian because, well...that's just like...my opinion, man. I wonder if a real Frenchman designed this place or if it is someone else with an idea of French culture. It is probably the latter. This, like Commonwealth Ave really reflects the LambdaMOO's desire to be an all-inclusive, global community. Utopia? Well, make the command-line interface easier, and then maybe it will be.
I have to say, all of this just sounds so odd. Getting trapped in mirror and living rooms sounds ridiculous. And the fact that you are doing it through text must be incredibly confusing. I don't quite understand the limitations of this, isn't it possible to just do anything?
ReplyDelete