Talk of recent news has not escaped World of Warcraft. In the major cities yesterday, a few people mentioned the death of Osama bin Laden, but many more people were talking about Barack Obama and Donald Trump. It was surprising to see how many people are still questioning the President's place of birth, even after he released his birth certificate. After about half an hour of people ranting and others trolling, someone said, "Guys, stop fighting about politics. Leave it to people who have nothing else better to do," and others were telling people to stop talking politics and just play the game. This just confirms that WoW is like a third space in the sense that talking about things such as politics is frowned upon and makes the game less fun for some people. During this conversation, I chose to observe, because I feel as though I am more concerned about my reputation on WoW than I am in real life. I have, on an uncountable number of occasions, gotten into heated arguments about politics in real life, but on WoW, I feel as though I need to be approved of by my guild members and others around me, so I choose to keep my thoughts to myself. Seems backwards, right?
On a different note, I've been spending a bit more time exploring the cities than actual combat areas lately, and I've found out that you can drink boatloads of mead and get anywhere from "tipsy" to "completely smashed" in the game. When this happens, your screen gets blurry, starts warping in and out, and it is nearly impossible to walk in a straight line. It doesn't really serve any purpose, but it's funny enough to see the reactions of people that you walk past.

Finally, Blizzard decided to get in on Japanese relief efforts by selling a specialized pet to be used in the game. I thought it was a really cool idea, so I bought one of my own. From Blizzard's website:
"For every Cenarion Hatchling purchased between now and July 31, 100% of the $10 USD adoption fee will be donated to the American Red Cross's Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami relief efforts. This support will enable the Red Cross to provide shelter, food, emotional support, and other assistance to victims of this disaster."
No comments:
Post a Comment